8 Rules for Home Organizing and Purging!
Many of us want to lead simple, uncluttered lives, but every time we make a commitment to organize a room in the house, an overwhelming sense of "where do I start?" sets in. When deciding on what stays and what goes, remember these 8 simple rules:
- One Year Rule: If you have not seen it/used it/looked at it in a year, get it out of your house.
- Broken Beyond Repair: It's broken, it's busted, it's a goner. Get it gone.
- Not Even Yours: This is the worst type of clutter - you do not even own it! Give it back to the person who does.
- Guilt: Life gets busy, and you shouldn't put more pressure on yourself by feeling responsible for things. They are just things, and do not get you any closer to your goals.
- "Just In Case": Think about the items you keep for this reason. Have any of those events come up when you actually needed them? Maybe, but it does not matter right now.
- Publications: Magazines and newspapers are old; the information contained in them is likely outdated. All of this information is easily accessible on the internet. This goes for books also.
- Done: There are items we are just done with, but have not gotten around to getting rid of them yet. Now is that time. Done.
- Simply The Best: Only put back into your closets and cupboards the best of what you own or things you simply cannot part with.
I wish we could take credit for posting these rules first, but they are found on http://www.31daystodeclutter.com. Trust us - these work. You have no excuse not to start now.